As soon as i clapped eyes on Amy Butlers latest fabric collection i knew it was destined to become a skirt. I cut some big 10" squares and patchworked them together and then cut out an a-line shape. It took two attempts to get the zipper reasonable - my tip for future zipper installations is to leave a huge seam allowance (like an inch!) to make life easier. ( It would have also helped to use a zipper foot but i dont have one for my machine thats set up and i was too lazy to set up the other machine...so slack i know! )
Its all cut on the bias which gives it a fair amount of give which is good for a fitted skirt. I also think bias cut skirts are a lot more flattering to wear. I put a waist band around the top but i think it might need some elastic in the waist band to help it fit snug, with the bias skirt it stretches a bit when i wear it so im hoping by inserting the elastic it will be less likely to fall off when i wear it!
Overall im happy with how its turned out, pretty much how i imagined and with a slight modification it will become my "new favourite",
Here are some more "favourites", maybe you will be inspired...
|(The links for these gorgeous photos are on my flickr)|
Have a great weekend!