Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lark...


As soon as i clapped eyes on Amy Butlers latest fabric collection i knew it was destined to become a skirt.  I cut some big 10" squares and patchworked them together and then cut out an a-line shape.  It took two attempts to get the zipper reasonable - my tip for future zipper installations is to leave a huge seam allowance (like an inch!) to make life easier. ( It would have also helped to use a zipper foot but i dont have one for my machine thats set up and i was too lazy to set up the other machine...so slack i know! )


Its all cut on the bias which gives it a fair amount of give which is good for a fitted skirt. I also think bias cut skirts are a lot more flattering to wear.   I put a waist band around the top but i think it might need some elastic in the waist band to help it fit snug, with the bias skirt it stretches a bit when i wear it so im hoping by inserting the elastic it will be less likely to fall off when i wear it!


Overall im happy with how its turned out, pretty much how i imagined and with a slight modification it will become my "new favourite",


Here are some more "favourites",   maybe you will be inspired...

(The links for these gorgeous photos are on my flickr)

Have a great weekend!

x

28 comments:

Vic said...

GORGEOUS! Oh my goodness it is just beautiful as a skirt, wow.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Lark is such a lovely range!! And by golly it makes a gorgeous skirt!!! And just in time for summer!! I predict you'll get lots of wear out of it.

kirsty@shoproomstudio said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! i think i just died and went to heaven, your skirt is all kinds of wonderful, it looks so gorgeous on you too, you skinny lil thang!

x

Catherine said...

The skirt is gorgeous:) It looks like it's going to be a summer favourite and so nice and comfy too. xo

Marg said...

Your skirt is gorgeous, I love it. I can't believe I saw Lark in a quilt shop and thought ho hum.
It looks fabulous in your skirt.

the textured leaf said...

So flattering and that is going to go with everything too. Beautiful skirt! x

Shay said...

Oh Melissa. It's 12 different kinds of beautiful. Makes me wish I wore skirts but I have that child bearing hip ugly going on.

You clever cuss you! I never would have thought of doing that with a layer cake.

clare's craftroom said...

I love your skirt , it's my new favourite too !

Bayside Rose said...

Loving that skirt. Love that you cut it on the bias as well. Looks so amazing. x

Amanda Makes said...

Be still my beating heart.... xxxx

Sally said...

That is the most gorgeous skirt I've ever seen. I so so love it. Brilliant.

Julie said...

Wow - looks really great and summery

Bungalowgirl said...

I love that skirt so much, the fabric is beautiful and the cut is so so flattering on you and the colours- delish.

Kate said...

Stunning!!

Andrea said...

LOVE your skirt,Im inspired!!!

Kerry said...

Wonderful skirt, I feel inspired for summer here- only 6 months away

karlyn Jackson said...

oooh I love this, was only wondering what to do with my Amy Butler Love stash yesterday, now I want one! thanks for the inspiration.

Irisha said...

Melissa, your skirt is beautiful! My friend keeps asking me to make her the same Lark!!! LOL. Would you please help me by telling how much fabric was used in this project?
Thank you!
~ Iryna
birynav09@yahoo.com

cbmimilk said...

Wonderful skirt!!
How many squares??
Cláudia

Enie Dub said...

Gorgeous skirt!!!

Zane Wooder said...

I love the skirt. I love the unique blend of colors. I finally love how good it looks on you.

-ontario honey

Erin said...

Beautiful! Any chance you would make a how-to post? I'd love to try something similar but am new to sewing and would need a how-to.
Thanks!

Katie said...

I would also love to know how many squares you used!

Ariella Lola said...

where did you get all of that fabric that is all different colors? maybe you could show us how to do in a video maybe . . . i'm new to sewing but would love to know how you did this!
thanks! it is so gorgeous!
love,
ariella
www.glitterartfit.blogspot.com

klfarley said...

Have you made a tutorial for this? I absolutely love this but am hesitant to try it without some guidance!

Thanks!
Katie

Paige said...

Love love love the slight a-line so it's not too full. But still full enough for comfort! Would love pattern or tutorial

quinto de primaria said...

Crear!!!!!!cold i hahe tve pattern?

quinto de primaria said...

Crear!!!!!!cold i hahe tve pattern?