Th Vegie Patch...

Im linking up with the Quilting Pyjama Queen herself Shay for Favourite things Friday.  Im a bit late - hope she doesnt give me detention ; P


 Anyway, Favourite Things Friday is a linky party where you can share your favourite things and today i wanted to share with you my vegie garden.


 Our vegie garden is under water by the end of the wet season which is good for things like kang kong but makes it hard to grow (and access) other vegies!  This year we made some raised beds with all old building materials and bits of junk, which had the added benefit of cleaning up the yard at the same time.


 We filled the beds with piles of composted garden waste  and covered with some old bales of mulching hay. I ordered a big mob of seeds from Eden Seeds and the kids and I spent time planting and potting up seeds and seedlings.


All our excess seedlings i have given away to the preschool or to friends and neighbours : )


 We are now starting to harvest some vegies such as zucchini, snake beans, coriander, tomatoes, basil, bok choy, radishes, ceylon spinach, chillies....


This time of year i love to grow pretty cottage plants such as zinnias, cosmos, marigolds and those lovely big sunflowers. They make me smile!



What makes you smile? Head over here to link up with your favourite things...

Happy Weekend!

x


Comments

Sarah B said…
Your vegie patch looks fantastic - so many things flourishing! Those zinnias are so pretty!
aaaahhh, loverly, your vegie garden makes me smile too!

x
Oh I am green (pardon the pun) with envy over your vegie patch...I am still trying but it seems every bug in Queensland likes my vegies as much as I do. Great post!
Marg said…
Love your vegie patch too, you are growing some very yummy vegies that I love.
Hope you don't get detention. You might get double detention though, having vegies as a favorite, lol.
Shay said…
No detention here but only because your vegie garden looks utterly fantastic (and I dont even like vegies- dont tell your kids)

Im so envious when I see people who grow wonderful things since I have a completely black thumb!
thea said…
Wonderful veggie garden. Looks like you're getting ready for Halloween too!
Gorgeous garden - I am most impressed!!!!!
Rachaeldaisy said…
I love your veggie garden!! I've never heard of Kang Kong? Your winter looks much warmer than mine. Cosmos, zinneas, sunnies are our Summer flowers and I love them all. Thanks for sharing these with us!
Baa-Me Kniits said…
Your veggie garden is fabulous!! Mine is being used as a temporary Guinea fowl pen this year as I am trying to collect the eggs to get more Guinea fowl. I've been locking them up with the chickens at night and so had to open up the door between chook pen and veggie garden to give them all more room. On the plus side they should all be fertilizing it nicely :-) LOL about Marg's comment for a double detention....it could happen :-)
Mistea said…
delicious favourite - I really do like my vegies it is just that what comes from the shop is tasteless compared with the real thing!
Love the flowers too - I always admire everyone else's gardens as we don't have one here.
Thanks for sharing.
Sally said…
WOW! Loving your vegie patch bit time... and how tall are those sunflowers??? Amazing. So awesome. Missing the north big time just now.
Catherine said…
Your garden looks so healthy and productive my goal is to really concentrate on making our garden more productive. Gardening is so rewarding and I love your sunflowers, they are such a happy flower. Have a wonderful week. xo
itstartswithme said…
fab garden, ours just got slashed about by some recent storms. Going to keep going, replanting, so worth it when you harvest food fresh.

Popular Posts