Single Girl



I finished off my Single Girl Quilt earlier this week, im really happy with how it finished up and quietly surprised i even got to the end of it.  I joined in on a quilt along hosted on Flickr which had something like 260 members worldwide sewing up different variations on this pattern, it was a lot of fun seeing everyones progress and different fabric choices for it.  The pattern is a modern take on a wedding ring quilt with single rings, hence the name.  Lots of templates and fussy piecing which i wouldnt have thought i was capable of but amazingly i got through it and even enjoyed the piecing of the rings!



Its a whopper of a quilt and fits on a queen.  I left the borders off mine as i thought it was big enough without them.  My fabrics include Dream on by Moda, a few vintage sheets and the solid fabric is a cotton / linen in a natural colour.  The backing is a new vintage sheet sheet which ties in really well
 (i think!)



The original pattern calls for hand quilting, and while it is something i would like to try, i really liked the look of the straight line quilting which was popping up all over in the Flickr group.  Im really digging this style of quilting, organic lines as in not totally straight! Its very time consuming but worth it -  i can see many more quilts done this way!

Comments

gorgeous! i am currently working on my very first quilt... eek!

love this quilt :) Kel x
bec said…
I love this! Absolutely beautiful! I'm being inspired by all the gorgeous finished ones to start one myself.....
Elvy Crafts said…
It turned out beautifully, great work! I'm tempted to try the Single Girl pattern myself, after reading your post.
Raine and Sage said…
It's simply stunning. As is your room and all the louvres. I love your style Melissa.
Sarah B said…
It looks fantastic! I love the straight quilting. It'll become an heirloom :)
Catherine said…
Wow Melissa this is absolutely beautiful, you're very talented. It looks gorgeous on your bed, it would make me smile when I looked at each day.:) xo
Kate said…
It is beautiful! I realy must get on with mine.
Bayside Rose said…
Man, you are so clever. This is a fabulous quilt and so much work. Love the vintage sheet fabric and the pillow slips. Divine.

Pam x
Lisa said…
It's just beautiful! Fabulous job. I think I may need to start mine.
Rachaeldaisy said…
It's so dreamy!! It looks wonderful on your bed. The straight line quilting suits it perfectly!!
Nana Go-Go said…
Too `Wow` for words!Another Stunner, Melissa. Great work. Quilting was never about perfectly straight lines but more about stamping your own personality into every piece which I think you do with complete artistry. It`s a real pleasure to be able to see your finished work. Thank You.
Maree: said…
It's Beautiful I really Love the B/G fabric...
cheers
Marg said…
Wow Melissa it's gorgeous, I love the straight line quilting. It looks beautiful on the bed.
I love the backing too, the vintage sheet looks wonderful paired with it.
Shay said…
LOVE the quilting. It's perfect.

In fact the whole quilt is dazzling. You should be justifiably thrilled to bits.

That vintage sheet finishes it ff beautifully. Congratulations of a fabulous finish!
Adore the photo of your bed! Love the quilt! I know that I've said this before but you are an utter genius!
Trace said…
oh it looks fabulous, what great work, you know I am a sucker for vintage sheets and natural linen!
Bungalowgirl said…
That quilt looks amazing, love the vintage sheet you chose for the backing. melx
Michelle said…
looks great! I looove this pattern, have been spying it for a while. michelle x
Sally said…
So wonderful! Super beautiful.
Your Single Girl turned out fabulous! Your quilting looks great on it too!
Still working on mine, all the segments are cut and here I sit..
your quilt is just beautiful... love your choice of prints and colours... i want one!!! What a lovely blog, I'm your newest follower!
naughtyshorts! said…
Perfect!!!!!! I love it so much! what an inspiration - love your vintage sheet backing. The whole thing is delicious!! I am new to your blog! Off to have a good poke around. Bec xo

Popular Posts