Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Time Flies.....

Its the middle of September, like ALREADY!
Where does the time go?Ive been keeping busy with a gorgeous girl turning 6, She LOVED her twirly patchwork dress by the way... ( some people think im cruel by traumatising my children and making them wear bed covers! - but they just dont get it!) We were also lucky enough to go camping out in Arnhem Land for a few days ...man it was so HOT!
We camped on the beach and went fishing...
Looked for hermit crabs...
and made little shell houses for them...
And collected shells and made necklaces and chimes... It was our first camping trip as a family , I was a bit dubious about it
but even though it was unbearably hot we had a lot of fun
Cant wait to go camping again!
On the crafty front Ive made (not much) progress
on the kaleidoscope quilt ...
Like most things I do, I start out all gung ho and lose momentum half way...
Truth be told i wasnt really loving the look of these blocks and thought my color selection
was a bit off but when I started sewing them together and
looking at it on the whole I think its not too bad...
what do you think?
Can you see the circles forming ? Ive learnt quite a bit making this quilt in
particular about color value which I had no clue about but I would really love
to learn more about color relationships etc ...
where can you learn about that sort of stuff without
doing an art degree?
I bought myself a little pressie (cos Ive been good...honest! )
Its Dream On by Moda , a set of fat quarters, they are so lovely!
They are prints taken from vintage sheets in gorgeous colors
and yes they will most likely become another quilt!
....I would like to finish the kaleidoscope before I start another one... hmmm Ive also been working on my latest crochet project,
cant wait to show you this
so stay tuned...
Hope everything is good in your world,
take care x

13 comments:

Tracey said...

oh wow, so much beautiful work! I adore your quilt and the cake is, of course, good enough to devour even!

Amanda said...

Hi Melissa! I love everything you're making! I know what you mean about enthusiastic beginnings. I'm just the same! Each of your projects is a gem...can't wait to see final Ta Da's!!!! Lots of love, Amanda xxx p.s. I'm back. Pop over xxx

Sally said...

Oh I am so glad that your daughter adored her dress... but of course she would! What a fantastic camping holiday. I think I would be too freaked out by crocodiles to walk that close to the water. I used too panic taking a walk along Casurina beach back in the day! Your quilt and crochet are both fabulous in so many ways. Lovely dovely indeedy.

sylviesgarden said...

Your daughter is adorable! It is scary how fast they grow up. Her dress is amazing. Don't listen to anybody that says it is cruel, she looks gorgeous and she likes it so that is what matters. Again, I wish I could sew properly so that I could make something similar for my little one.
I love the quilt and the crochet is fab.
x

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Lovely lovely pics. Love everything you made - you have been busy! The quilt is to die for.

baysiderose said...

Your daughter is gorgeous. Love all your work and good on you for buying yourself a fabric pressie.

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

After seeing your post I just had to have some Dream On too lol!! Glad you have had some time away and hopefully we can catch up soon.

And yes, I can see some circles forming. I think every quilt has a lesson for us :) xox

Bellgirl said...

Wow, you've been really productive! What a beautiful girl, the dress suits her so well. The quilt looks wonderful, I think you already have a good instinct for colour relationships. have you seen the quilters colour wheels? A friend got one recently- I'll see if I can find a pic of one online.

I really must learn to crochet!

Renee said...

I know other people just don't get the thing about using sheets do they. My in laws do not get me or this sheet collecting or op shopping at all! I love your quilt - it's looking great. And your crochet - beatuiful as always!

Catherine said...

Melissa your little girls cake is beautiful and so is she in new dress.

It looks like you had a lovely time together camping, collecting shells and looking for crabs is a lot of fun with children.

Enjoy your new fabric present:)

beck said...

How fun to come across your gorgeous blog tonight! I love all your photo's, your gorgeous girls & colourful projects. And I see you are from the N.T., a favourite place of mine. Looking forward to visiting your space lots xo ps LOVE the dress!

Gina said...

I'd love to try a kaleidoscope quilt like that, or some similar circle-creating ones that I've seen. I think it's coming up beautifully - I imagine it might be the more earthy colours that are making you unsure about it? But truly they look great. Everything you make is a glorious mix of colour.

I must say though that your most superb-looking creations are those children. Honestly, how beautiful-looking! I really love the sun-bonnets you have them in too in the beach-combing pictures.

laura said...

camping looked like such fun! the crocheted blanket and fat quarters are divine. you're one talented lady. x